Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Something else

Thought I'd write about something completely else.

Today my son (he's turning 7 in just a few weeks now) had his weekly Qur'an lesson. It's a wonderful thing because, here my son is - in a Stockholmian suburb in Sweden, being half swedish-half palestinian learning Qur'an from his bengali Imam (who is the son of a great and well-known Imam from Bangladesh). What a wonderful multicultural ummah, mashaAllah.

They speak arabic together and as I was eavesdropping (well, actually couldn't avoid it - small apartment) from my room I heard Ibrahim laughing and making (polite) jokes with his teacher.

That made my heart smile today.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture you just painted with words.

11:24 AM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

Your baby is growing up. Wonderful thing.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Barsawad said...

This reminds me of my childhood! Growing up in East Africa.

My parents used to love moving from place to place; by the time I was grown up, we had lived in all the three East African countries: Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

One thing my late Father made certain, was my Quran lessons; he was my tutor and mentor! By the time I was six, I had re-read the whole Holly Quran several times; and yet I didn't understand a word of Arabic! By the time I was seven, he was taking me to religious public gatherings to recite the Quran infront of these large gatherings! And I could do it very well!

At that age, I could read and meomrise the Quran much better than I do now! And yet, since coming to Hadharamout 21 years ago, I have learnt Arabic! I lost my close touch with the Quran, due to my attending boarding schools - in which there were very few Muslims and some times - non at all.

I do hope your son keeps the reading of the Quran through out his life; the older he grows, the more he reads and the better he bocomes! God bless you!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so lovely. You must be so delighted to hear his Arabic.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are there any better languages to learn than aRaBic?

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son is white....why do you let a nigger teach him anything? We all know that Europe has become full of those stinky assholes but isn't it our duty to send them back to where they came from?

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salams
Mashallah you have a nice blog.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As salam aleikum
Masch allah Imaan,that is so nice...my kids are in an islamic country but i guess they learn everything else then Islam :(

Hugs from mochajam

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home